How to seal metal roof seams? it’s a common question for those people who live in metal roof homes face leakage and timely weather penetration inside their homes. Water penetration is quite a common struggle for owners if roofs are not appropriately sealed. Thus, applying caulks butyl tape is a quite affordable and effective measure to repair the roofs. These substances are water-resistant, chemical-proof, and all-weather resistant as well.
The efficiency ensures long-lasting, somewhat permanent protection from leakage inside the home through roofs. Moreover, these substances are heat reflectors, elastic that save energy and money.
How To Seal Metal Roof Seams by caulk:
- Prior is to clean metal roofs from all dirt and debris materials.
- Now lay butyl tape (at least of 6-inches) over the lapping ends of seams in the horizontal direction. While sealing, remove the backing and apply it slowly with a 45-degree angle. Press the tape carefully and slowly while releasing the help for secure sealing. Please do it again with the whole process of you find any wrinkles or bubbles while sealing the seam.
- Time to apply 3-inch butyl tape in the vertical direction on the entire metal seam. The steps you followed while doing it is the same in the vertical movement. Place tape slowly while removing the backing. Press it with great care and secure manner over the metal panel seam. If you find any wrinkles and bubbles, then roll out for more reliable sealing. Just need to overlap the butyl tape vertically on already sealed horizontal ends.
- Now the time is to apply water-proof caulk to both edges with a caulking gun. Let the caulk dry entirely for more secure sealing.
- In the end, apply a top coat of the caulk to the entire metal roof with a brush or paint roller for refined and finished sealing.
Supplies You Need for sealing metal roof seams:
- 6-inch butyl tape for horizontal sealing.
- 3-inch butyl takes for vertical sealing.
- Calking gun.
- Seam roller or brush.
- Quality caulk solution.
- Push broom, spray paint machine, topcoat sealant.
You can use the spray paint machine for easy applying of topcoat sealant on metal sheets evenly. But metal roof needs to be properly clean and dry before application of butty tape, caulk solution, and topcoat sealant.